Thursday, July 19, 2012

Interview with Meghan Mitchell: Ninja Master

Today we’re here with a very important guest, my wife, the talented and charming Meghan Mitchell, to discuss her latest published short story “Ninjas”, as featured in Appendix C of my new novel Rift Jump.

 Greg Mitchell: Meghan, that’s an awfully obscure placement there. I mean, seriously, you’re all the way back in Appendix C? Do you feel like you’re playing second fiddle to your husband? Do you plot his death while he sleeps? 

Meghan Mitchell: You know, I really can’t blame him. I mean, it’s his book and I recognize that he deserves the spotlight. If the ninja story had been featured at the beginning of the book, for instance, people probably would have stopped reading Rift Jump as soon as they figured out the ninjas weren’t the featured characters, and there would have been rioting in the streets and all that. This way is probably safer for Greg.

GM: When I approached you about adding to the Rift Jump mythos, what was your initial reaction? An immense sense of pride? Perhaps a fear of destroying something so beautiful? 

MM: To be honest, all I remember about that moment is that I was dying to get some nachos. That sounds good…could we grab some nachos after this interview?

GM: No. We'll see. When I originally created the ninja characters, they were a couple nameless thugs used to demonstrate the power of my main character, but you managed to give them a whole backstory. What was your inspiration for these characters? 

MM: Deep down, I believe we are all ninjas. Nameless, faceless, wandering through life undetected, holding onto a desperate hope that we can strike down our foes before they realize we’re there. We want to imagine we’re battling for something grand, but at the end of the day, all we really want is a Honey Bun.

And I totally channeled my brother, Matthew, for basically every word that comes out of the ninjas’ mouths.

GM: What’s next for you? Any more stories on the horizon? Will the ninjas make a return in the Appendix for the Rift Jump sequel? 

MM: Ninjas don’t reveal their next moves.

GM: Well played. Thank you for taking the time to sit down with us today, Meghan. I know we’ve joked around a lot in this interview, but really I want to say that, in all seriousness, I am a great man. You were very wise to marry me.

MM: Yes, finding someone whose greatness could compliment, but not outshine, my own personal greatness was no easy task. And you were wise to ask.

GM: That does it for another interview! Go out and buy Rift Jump today to read Meghan's ninj-tastic debut...and the rest of the book is pretty good too.

 

No comments: